welcome to garage studio photography


Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Christmas at the Knowles home

Years ago, I took pictures of everything that happened on Christmas. That usually meant that I had a lot of photos of the top of people's heads as they opened presents and lots of photos of people eating Christmas dinner! I got tired of taking those kind of photos and of constantly having a camera in hand. In the last few years, I've purposely taken a few "tradition" photos and then set my camera aside. I like these photos better, and I have a more relaxed time at holiday gatherings.
This year, because of the record-breaking, road-clogging snow, we didn't spend that much time with our extended family. But the pictures below are some of our "must have" photos to record this holiday.
On Christmas Eve, we move our stockings from the front of the armoire to hang on the fireplace (we can't have them there sooner or they'd block the tv which is in our fireplace!). We have the kids sit in front of the stockings (they chose to add the Santa hats a couple of years ago) with our cookies and drink for Santa.

One Christmas tradition that Quinn started with to read "The Night Before Christmas on Christmas Eve". We collect different versions of the book and have Quinn or one of the older kids read it. This year we used the pop-up book version with beautiful cut-out illustrations and Tayler (home from college) read the familiar story.

When I was growing up, the traditional shot on Christmas morning was of all of us sitting on the stairs waiting to go in to see what Santa brought us. Our kids (our homes have never had stairs) stand in the hallway in front of the Santa curtain waiting to go see what Santa brought them.

I always take a photo of the Christmas morning mess. It's one of my favorite shots! Another shot I try to take is a group shot of my kids with their favorite Christmas presents. I didn't get around to taking that one this year.